Child Care  Finding Out You Are Pregnant

Top Page  >>  Child Care  >>  Finding Out You Are Pregnant

Maternal and Child Health Handbook

This is record book for both mother and child. Obtain a Maternal and Child Health Handbook as soon as you find out you are pregnant. Maternal and Child Health Handbooks are available in the following languages: English, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Indonesian, Spanish and Thai.
Maternal and Child Health Handbook

Ward of Residence Where to get the Handbook Address Telephone
Naka Ward Naka Ward Office, Health Promotion Division 103-2 Motoshiro-cho, Naka-ku 053-457-2890
Chuo Health & Welfare Center 596 Itaya-machi, Naka-ku 053-413-5577
Higashi Ward Higashi Ward Office, Health Promotion Division 20-3 Ryutsumoto-machi, Higashi-ku 053-424-0122
Tobu Health & Welfare Center 300 Aoya-cho, Minami-ku 053-422-2228
Minami Ward Minami Ward Office Health Promotion Division 600-1 Enoshima-cho, Minami-ku 053-425-1590
Nishi Ward Nishi Ward Office, Health Promotion Division 1-31-1 Yuto-cho, Nishi-ku 053-597-1174
Kita Ward Kita Ward Office, Health Promotion Division 305 Kiga, Hosoe-cho, Kita-ku 053-523-3121
Inasa Health Center 616-5 Iinoya, Inasa-cho, Kita-ku 053-542-0857
Hamakita Ward Hamakita Health Center 1604-1 Hirakuchi, Hamakita-ku 053-587-0739
Hamakita Ward Office, Health Promotion Division 3000 Kibune, Hamakita-ku 053-585-1171
Tenryu Ward Tenryu Ward Office, Health Promotion Division 530-19 Futamata, Futamata-cho, Tenryu-ku 053-922-0075
Haruno Community Collaboration Center
(Reservation necessary)
1467-2 Miyagawa, Haruno-cho, Tenryu-ku 053-983-0006
Sakuma Health Center
(Reservation necessary)
18-11 Nakabe, Sakuma-cho, Tenryu-ku 053-966-0005
Misakubo Health & Welfare Center
(Reservation necessary)
2980-1 Okuryoke, Misakubo-cho, Tenryu-ku 053-982-0004

Items to Bring

  • Pregnancy Notification Form (ninshin todokedesho) (available from hospitals and medical clinics)
  • Residence Card (zairyu kado)

Reception Hours

  • Monday–Friday, 9:00-16:30

* Consultations are conducted by midwives and public health nurses.

* Closed public holidays and over the New Year's holiday (December 29-January 3).

Claiming the Lump Sum Allowance for Childbirth and Child Care

When a person who is enrolled in the National Health Insurance scheme gives birth, a lump sum allowance of 420,000 yen is granted.
* Please note that for those enrolled in health insurance scheme at work and their families, a similar system is available, so please consult your employer.
* Lump Sum Allowance for Childbirth and Child Care Direct Payment System
New mothers who choose to take advantage of the Lump Sum Allowance for Childbirth and Child Care Direct Payment System (shussan ikuji Ichijikin chokusetsu shiharai seido) are only liable for any medical expenses in excess of the system’s 420,000 yen allotment. If expenses come to a total of less than 420,000 yen, recipients can apply at their local city hall or ward office to receive payment for the remaining difference.



When a person enrolled in national health insurance gives birth.


Head of the household (person in charge of the family)
A proxy (on behalf of the head of household)
* Possible when the proxy has all the necessary documents.

Documents for Submission

  • Lump Sum Allowance for Childbirth and Child Care Application (shussan ikuji ichijikin seikyusho), located at each reception desk.

Items to Bring

  • National Health Insurance Card
  • Personal seal of the head of household
  • Bank passbook or bank card with account details for the head of household
  • Lump Sum Allowance Consent Form
  • Receipt for childbirth medical expenses


Free (There is no cost)

* When the lump sum payment is to be paid into an account other than that of the head of the household, the personal seals of both the head of household and person appointed by the head of household are required.

* If you were enrolled in another health insurance scheme for more than one year and gave birth within 6 months from withdrawing from said insurance, you can receive this payment from that insurance scheme. (Those who were enrolled in National Union Health Insurance will receive their payment from the National Health Insurance.)

For the Health of Mother and Child

If you have become pregnant, please read the following reference material. You can download a PDF file.
For the Health of Mother and Child
top–pp. 02 (PDF: 1,294KB)
pp. 03-06 (PDF: 2,641KB)
pp. 07-09 (PDF: 2,322KB)
pp. 10-12 (PDF: 2,369KB)
pp. 13-16 (PDF: 2,709KB)
pp. 17-21 (PDF: 2,875KB)
pp. 22-26 (PDF: 2,794KB)
pp. 27-30 (PDF: 2,057KB)
pp. 31-33 (PDF: 1,308KB)
pp. 34-37 (PDF: 2,360KB)
pp. 38-41 (PDF: 2,040KB)