Transport  Vehicle Insurance, Registration, Inspections

Top Page  >>  Transport  >>  Vehicle Insurance, Registration, Inspections

Vehicle Insurance

In Japan, all owners of vehicles must by law purchase vehicle insurance called jibaiseki-hoken or third party liability insurance.
However, we recommend that you also purchase voluntary insurance (nin'i-hoken) for additional indemnity. This must be purchased at a private insurance company.

For information and consultations about traffic accidents, please use the contacts below:

Hamamatsu Traffic Accident Advice Center
(Kurashi Center, Residents Services Division)
2F, 103-2 Motoshiro-cho,
Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-shi
Tel 053-457-2233
Hamamatsu Central Police Station 5-28-1 Sumiyoshi, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-shi Tel 053-475-0110
Hamamatsu East Police Station 14-10 Aioi-cho, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-shi Tel 053-460-0110
Hamakita Police Station 3218 Komatsu, Hamakita-ku, Hamamatsu-shi Tel 053-585-0110
Tenryu Police Station 8-3 Akura Futamata-cho, Tenryu-ku, Hamamatsu-shi Tel 053-926-0110
Hosoe Police Station 4640 Kiga, Hosoe-cho, Kita-ku,Hamamatsu-shi Tel 053-522-0110
Shizuoka Prefecture Lawyer Association Hamamatsu Branch Within the Shizuoka Prefecture Seibu Legal Hall, 1-9-1 Chuo,
Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-shi
Tel 053-455-3009

Vehicle Registration and Safety Inspections (shaken)

You must notify the local transport authority when you buy, sell or scrap a vehicle, and when the name or address of the owner changes. A periodical vehicle inspection (shaken) is required by law.

Proof of Parking

When registering a vehicle it is necessary to provide a document that certifies where your vehicle will be parked. This document is called shako-shomei. You should apply for this document at the police station with jurisdiction over the area where your car will be parked. In most cases, the shop you bought your car from will apply for you.