Renting Private Housing

Consult a real estate agent when looking for an apartment or house. If you tell the agent your preferred location, rent, size, etc., then they will introduce you to a place. Rent will vary according to the location and age of the building. Room sizes are described by the number of tatami mats that fit in it. One tatami mat is approximately 1.8m×0.9m. Apartments are usually unfurnished.

Rental Leases

You will need a Japanese guarantor (hoshonin) when renting an apartment. When signing the lease, you will need to have the equivalent of about five months’ worth of rent on hand to cover the deposit, the key money, the advance rent, as well as the mediation fee for the real estate agent.


Paid monthly, covering rent for the following month. Utilities charges for electricity, water, etc., are not included.


The landlord will take some money as a deposit when you sign the contract. It will be used to cover any property repairs, etc., when you move out. Any remaining money will be returned to you.

Key Money

Key money is money you pay to the landlord. It will not be returned to you when you move out.

Mediation Fee

Usually a sum of money equal to one month's rent is given to the real estate agent as a mediation fee.

Communal Benefit Fee

This will go toward the upkeep of communal facilities such as the apartment building’s outdoor lighting.

Parking Space

If you use a parking space, you will pay this fee. This fee may be included in the rent.

Canceling a Lease

When moving out, be sure to notify your landlord in advance before the time period specified in your lease agreement. If you do not do so, you will have to continue paying rent. Even if there is time remaining on your lease agreement, others, such as your family, friends, acquaintances, etc., are not allowed to live there.

To Page Top

Municipal Housing

We accept new tenants 4 times a year (February, May, August, November). For more details, please contact us on the telephone number below.


Hamamatsu Municipal Housing Management Center
Tel. 053-457-3051
Hamamatsu Municipal Housing Northern Management Center
Tel. 053-401-0323

*Guidance on moving into Municipal Housing is available in Portuguese

Qualifying for Municipal Housing

*Foreign resident households must have been living in Japan since before January 1st of the previous year. (This is due to needing the submission of a Tax Payment Certificate [nozei shomeisho] and a Tax Certificate [kazei shomeisho])

  • People in a difficult housing situation. (Those currently living in municipal or prefectural housing, or those who own a house cannot apply).
  • People who live or work in the city (except housing in a portion of Tenryu Ward (municipal housing in the Haruno, Sakuma, Misakubo and Tatsuyama areas)).
  • People living with family. (There is some housing where one can live alone. In that case, set conditions must be fulfilled.)
  • People who are currently on track with payments for public funds, such as taxes
  • Tenants or those living with tenants must not be a member of a violent or criminal gang
  • Those whose applicant and family income level is within the established income bracket
  • People with a guarantor (People that fall under categories 1-5 below.)
    * You may use a guarantor company if there is no one that can be your guarantor.
  1. Live in Hamamatsu or can reach the center of the city within 2 hours.
  2. Have the resources to be a guarantor (a monthly income at least 3 times the cost of rent).
  3. Not be living in municipal housing.
  4. Be current on payments for public funds, such as taxes.
  5. Be a Japanese national or have permanent residence status.


  • The Application for Permission to Move Into Municipal Housing (available from the beginning of the application period at the Hamamatsu Municipal Housing Management Center, the Hamamatsu Municipal Housing Northern Management Center, local ward offices and Hamamatsu City Hall.)
    Those who are chosen must prepare the following documents.
  • Municipal/Prefectural Tax Certificate (shiminzei/kenminzei shomeisho)
  • Certificate of Income (shunyu shomeisho) of the applicant and his/her family as well as their Description of Withholding Statement (gensen choshuhyo)
  • The Resident Records (juminhyo) of everyone planning to move in (for engaged couples, the Resident Records of both the applicant and fiancé/fiancée)
  • Copy of your residence card
  • For engaged couples, a certificate of engagement
  • For married couples consisting of a Japanese person and a non-Japanese person, or a person wanting to live alone, a copy of the applicant’s family register is required. (Foreign residents are required to have documents such as proof of being single or a birth certificate. Also, the documents needed for the evaluation will be different depending on the household, so please inquire ahead of time as to what will be required.)

Things to keep in mind

  • Applications are limited to one housing unit per family
  • Only the minimum required level of repairs are done on municipal housing
  • After moving in, please join the apartment complex’s self-governing association and participate in its activities
  • On top of the cost of rent, a fee for the use of communal facilities (fees for electricity in communal areas, like corridors, etc.) by residents (communal benefit fee) will be charged.
  • When moving out, tenants will be asked to return the unit to its original condition (e.g. replace the tatami mat covers, repaper the sliding paper doors)
  • Because it is an apartment complex, please follow the designated rules and etiquette and live cooperatively in the community
  • If you use the on-site parking lot, you are required to pay an additional usage fee separate to your rent. (Some buildings do not have car parking.)
  • A deposit worth 3 months’ rent will need to be paid in advance by the tenant
  • Keeping pets in municipal housing, such as cats and dogs, is prohibited
  • Submitted documents will not be returned

To Page Top

Prefectural Housing

Please inquire at the Shizuoka Prefecture Housing Supply Public Corporation

Qualifying for Municipal Housing

  • People in a difficult housing situation
  • People with family living with them in Japan
  • Couples planning on getting married (Those who can be married or added to the family register within 3 months of moving in)
  • Those whose applicant and family income level is within the established income bracket
  • People with a joint guarantor
  • Applications for arrangements such as married couples living separately or people living with non-family members in unusual circumstances will not be accepted
  • People wishing to live by themselves must fulfill the set conditions

Method of Application

By post:

Fill in the “Prefectural Housing Rental Application” and send it by post (enclose two postcards). *Only applications that are postmarked by the application due date will be accepted.

In person:

Fill in the “Prefectural Housing Rental Application” and submit it (and two 52 yen stamps) in person.

Things to keep in mind

  • Applications are limited to one housing unit per family
  • Applications are accepted by housing complex and by housing type
  • Submitted documents will not be returned

The time line between applying for housing and moving in

  • Housing candidates and alternative candidates are selected by means of a public lottery. (Lottery results will be sent by postcard).
  • Housing candidates bring in the necessary documents to the evaluation office, and undergo an evaluation of qualifications. The joint guarantor’s documents are evaluated at this time as well.
  • Qualifications are evaluated and tenants are determined. Applications without proper qualifications will be disqualified. When someone is disqualified, an alternative candidate is advanced and undergoes an evaluation of qualifications.
  • Once tenants have been determined, alternative candidates are rejected.
  • Apartment floor and building preferences cannot be specified. However, if the applicant has difficulty climbing stairs, the applicant should mention it.
  • A deposit worth 3-months’ rent is paid by the tenant.

Documents needed for the evaluation of qualifications

  • Resident Record (juminhyo) and Residence Card
  • Municipal/Prefectural Tax Certificate (shiminzei/kenminzei shomeisho)
  • Certificate of Income (shunyu shomeisho)
  • Health Insurance Card
  • Others: a Description of Withholding Statement (gensen choshuhyo), a Final Income Tax Return (kakutei shinkokusho), a Certificate of Resignation (taishoku shomeisho), etc., may be required

To Page Top