Canal Hamamatsu | Top Page > Education > Elementary & Junior High School



 Elementary & Junior High School

Admission Procedures

If you would like to enroll your child into a public elementary or junior high school, begin by undergoing the school entrance orientation offered at the Board of Education Educational Development Division Education Comprehensive Educational Support Center. After that, you are required to go through the enrollment procedures at the Education General Affairs Division. Parents (guardians) should bring their Resident Card (Zairyu kado) etc as well as their child’s. Your child can begin attending elementary or junior high school from the day designated by the Board of Education. There are also schools for children with special needs, so please feel free to enquire at the Education Comprehensive Educational Support Center.

Information on Elementary School Enrollment

The Hamamatsu Board of Education will send notifications to parents (guardians) with children who will be begin attending elementary school the following April. The notifications contain the following information.

August: Acceptance of applications for elementary grade 1 students
September: Notification about the pre-school medical examination (Medical Examination for Enrolled students) will be sent out.
December: Admission Notices will be sent out.
January - March: School Entrance Orientation will be held.

* School entrance ceremonies for public elementary and junior high schools will be held in April


Education General Affairs Division, Hamamatsu Board of Education

Education Comprehensive Educational Support Center, Hamamatsu Board of Education
* Portuguese and Spanish interpreters are available

To Page Top


At public schools, school fees and texts are free, but it is the guardians' responsibility to pay for school supplies, meals, excursions and activities.

Schooling Support

If a family whose child goes to public elementary or junior high school has financial difficulties, subsidies are available for school supplies, lunch and excursions. Please consult your child's homeroom teacher regarding the subsidies. However, there are examinations after the application is presented and there is no guarantee that you will get the subsidy. This procedure takes time, and you cannot receive the subsidy until everything is completed.

To Page Top

Japanese Language Instruction

Bilingual supporters will provide guidance classes for the first 10 days so that the students who don't understand Japanese and are going to Japanese school for the first time can get used to school life. Afterwards, a Japanese language teacher will instruct the students in fundamental Japanese. Bilingual supporters continue to immerse the students in classes with other Japanese students, and subject teachers provide extra supplementary classes so that the foreign students can learn little by little in their own personal class.

To Page Top

About Orientation

We hold school orientions mostly for children who can't speak Japanese or older children who haven't attended Japanese Kindergarten / Nursery School. (From January until March, first 8 Saturdays)
We hold Japanese classes including mockups of experiences and real-life Japanese which are necessary for school life.
Similarly, we organise enrolment guidance sessions for guardians.

After-school children’s council (hokago jidokai)

Students whose parents (or caregivers) are not at home during the day can attend. After school ends, they can go here (after-school care).

Target Students Elementary Schoolers whose parents/caregivers are not at home during the day due to work etc.
Reason you Wish to Join After-School Care  ・Both parents have each been working a total of  64 hours a month.
 *Both parents of 1st, 2nd year students who are working past 14:00
 *Both parents of 3rd year+ students who are working past 15:00
・Both parents are studying/in education
・Both parents are ill or otherwise, and cannot watch over their child.

Monday - Friday (school days only) from the end of school until around 18:00) 8:00-around 18:00 during summer vacation and other long holidays.

Sundays and periods of long breaks (from approximately 8:00 - 18:00)

* Guardians must come pick up their children.

Cost Fees are monthly. Fees differ depending on the after-school childcare association that you apply for.
Application You have to apply for positions for your children to attend after-school care.
If you want your child to start attending after-school care from April, you have to apply between October-December in the year before.
If you want your child to start attending after-school care anytime after the month of April, you can apply at any time.
* Even if you apply to an after-school childcare association, they may not have any spaces available.

Contact Information

Social Welfare Division

To Page Top