Canal Hamamatsu | Top Page > Living in Japan > Procedures for Staying in Japan



Procedures for Staying in Japan

Procedures for Staying in Japan by Type

Foreign nationals living in Japan must complete the following procedures regarding residence status in the circumstances described.

  Circumstances When Fee
Acquiring Residence Status ・Entering the country
・Child born to parents of foreign nationality
・Birth: Within 30 days of the child's birth.
* Not required if child will leave Japan within 60 days.
Changing Residence Status ・International students who graduate and will continue to live and work in Japan.
・After marrying a Japanese national.
When there is information to be changed before the date of expiration of the period of stay 4,000 yen
Renewing Period of Stay When you wish to renew your period of stay For those with a period of stay of 6 months or longer, from 3 months before the date of expiration up until the date of expiration 4,000 yen
Permanent Residence When you wish to permanently reside in Japan but keep your foreign nationality Before the date of expiration of the period of stay 8,000 yen
Engaging in Activities Outside Your Status International students who want to work part-time Anytime Issuing of working permission: 900 yen
Re-entry Permit Temporarily leave and then return to Japan
* Those holding a valid passport and residence card who plan to re-enter Japan within a year (or before the expiration of their period of stay for those with less than a year remaining on their period of stay) are not required to get re-entry permission in advance. Please check the box for “I am leaving Japan temporarily and will return.” on the embarkation and disembarkation card (ED card) for re-entry and departure.
Before leaving the country ・Single Re-entry Permit: 3,000 yen
・Multiple Re-entry Permit: 6,000 yen


Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau Hamamatsu Branch Office Hamamatsu Godo Chosha 1F, 1-12-4 Chuo, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-shi Tel 053-458-6496


9:00–12:00, 13:00–16:00
*Closed: Saturdays, Sundays, National Holidays, New Year's Holiday (Dec. 29–Jan. 3)

To Page Top


・Procedures for staying in Japan must be carried out in person at the Immigration Bureau (Hamamatsu Branch Office).
・You must bring your passport and Residence Card
・Other required documents differ depending on residence status and conditions so please contact the immigration office (TEL: 053-458-6496).

To Page Top

Acceptance of Applications

・Documents will be reviewed and accepted if there are no problems with them.
・You may be asked additional questions or required to submit additional documents.
・It is possible for permission may be granted on the same day, however, it usually takes some time.

To Page Top

Procedures for Permission

・The applicant will be sent a notification regarding permission.
・Following the instructions on the notification, the applicant will carry out procedures at the immigration office in person.
・Service charges applicable when permission is granted may be paid with revenue stamps that can be purchased on site.

To Page Top

General Information Center for Foreign Nationals

Consultations on a variety of issues related to entering and living in Japan.

Address and Telephone Number

Address 5-18 Shoho-cho, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi
Telephone 0570-013904 / 03-5796-7112 (for IP phones/PHS/overseas phones)
* Consultations by phone will be handled by Tokyo’s Information Center.


English, Korean, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, etc.

To Page Top


If applying of their own free will, and if approved by the Minister of Justice, foreign nationals may be granted Japanese citizenship.
Please contact the Regional Legal Affairs Bureau with jurisdiction over the area where you live for more information.

Regional Legal Affairs Bureau for Hamamatsu

Shizuoka Regional Legal Affairs Bureau, Hamamatsu Branch Hamamatsu Godo Chosha, 1-12-4 Chuo, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-shi Tel 053-454-1396

To Page Top

Notification of Choice of Nationality for Those Who Hold Multiple Nationalities

This is a notification for holders of multiple nationalities to declare that they are choosing Japanese citizenship and renouncing their foreign citizenship.
If you acquired another nationality before the age of 20 you must choose one nationality before turning 22. If you acquired another nationality after turning 20, you must choose one nationality within two years of acquiring the other nationality.
For further details, please contact your local ward municipal services counter.


Ward Municipal Services Division

To Page Top